Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Starbucks Coffee as a Status Symbol

 

starbucks coffee by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com

 

Yesterday, I went to Starbucks Coffee Shop and it seems like ages since I had coffee in this place. I really try to avoid going to this “fancy” place because it looks superficial to me. While many people are hungry out there, there you are sipping your very expensive cup of coffee. Many people are lured into these place because of the sense of feeling that you belong to the high class society or the elite level. I think this absurd, unfair and irrational. 

 

best coffee by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com

 

In the Philippines, Starbucks is less of an issue of the fair trade and more as a status symbol. Most of the people go to the shop just to show off that they can afford this high-priced coffee drinks. It’s like telling to the world that “hey, I have money, I drink this kind of coffee and I belong to high society.” I hope that one day, this kind of thinking would stop. I just will people would stop thinking that products from the West or the global goods are reflection of high financial/economic status.

 

coffee maker by nomadicgoddess.blogspot.com starbucks

 

When I was in Indonesia, I have this friend once who constantly tells people that she misses drinking Starbucks coffee. Then, a foreigner asked her why she is looking for Starbucks where in fact she’s in the place where local coffees are the best in the world. At that moment, I want to smile but at the same time ashamed with what happened to my “friend”.

 

Here are some stuffs about Starbucks:

 

2 comments: